1450 Columbia Street View on Google Maps
San Diego, CA 92101
619 889 0428
Our story begins in 1971 along the cobblestone streets of Seattle’s historic Pike Place Market. It was here where Starbucks opened its first store, offering fresh-roasted coffee beans, tea and spices from around the world for our customers to take home. Our name was inspired by the classic tale, “Moby-Dick,” evoking the seafaring tradition of the early coffee traders.
Ten years later, a young New Yorker named Howard Schultz would walk through these doors and become captivated with Starbucks coffee from his first sip. After joining the company in 1982, a different cobblestone road would lead him to another discovery. It was on a trip to Milan in 1983 that Howard first experienced Italy’s coffeehouses, and he returned to Seattle inspired to bring the warmth and artistry of its coffee culture to Starbucks. By 1987, we swapped our brown aprons for green ones and embarked on our next chapter as a coffeehouse.
Starbucks would soon expand to Chicago and Vancouver, Canada and then on to California, Washington, D.C. and New York. By 1996, we would cross the Pacific to open our first store in Japan, followed by Europe in 1998 and China in 1999. Over the next two decades, we would grow to welcome millions of customers each week and become a part of the fabric of tens of thousands of neighborhoods all around the world. In everything we do, we are always dedicated to Our Mission: to inspire and nurture the human spirit – one person, one cup, and one neighborhood at a time.
Coffee & Craft
It takes many hands to craft the perfect cup of coffee – from the farmers who tend to the red-ripe coffee cherries, to the master roasters who coax the best from every bean, and to the barista who serves it with care. We are committed to the highest standards of quality and service, embracing our heritage while innovating to create new experiences to savor.
We like to say that we are not in the coffee business serving people, but in the people business serving coffee. Our employees – who we call partners – are at the heart of the Starbucks experience. We are committed to making our partners proud and investing in their health, well-being and success and to creating a culture of belonging where everyone is welcome.
- L'Erbolario San Diego1501 India Street (351 feet NW)
- Bluza Boutique1501 India Street (351 feet NW)
- Go Postal!1501 India Street (351 feet NW)
- Stefanie Bales Fine Art1504 India Street (382 feet NW)
- Salon 15321532 India Street (516 feet NW)
- Luma1440 Columbia Street (110 feet SW)
- Chase1415 India Street (201 feet SW)
- Fit Little Italy (COMING SOON)411 West Ash Street (353 feet SE)
- 7-Eleven1469 State Street (376 feet NE)
- uBreakiFix1501 India Street (397 feet NW)
- Best Western Plus / Bayside Inn555 West Ash Street (176 feet SW)
- Carté Hotel San Diego401 West Ash Street (397 feet SE)
- Urban Boutique Hotel1654 Columbia Street (828 feet N)
- Hampton Inn / San Diego Downtown1531 Pacific Highway (999 feet NW)
- Double Tree by Hilton / San Diego Downtown1646 Front Street (1030 feet NE)